Tuesday, January 5, 2010

To Feed Ravenously at the Table of Our Lord

Behold, I come to you, Lord, that I may prosper by Your gift and be delighted at Your holy banquet, which you, O God, in Your sweetness have prepared for Your poor. Behold, all that I can or ought to desire is in You. You are my salvation and my redemption, my hope and strength, my honor and glory.

Here at this table we gather in order to be fattened by your outstretched hand. And we pray that you would now feed us with this heavenly food. We come to this table with great joy and eager expectation, for we know that this is the only food that will really sustain our bodies, for its nutrients are spiritual in nature and its enrichment profits our souls.

Let us feed upon our Lord Jesus to the satisfaction of our inner cravings. Let us indulge ourselves in your mercy and ravenously partake of the love which is in Christ our Mediator. God, here at this table, make us voracious gluttons who devour you grace greedily. And when we arise from this great feast, let us be ever so filled with spiritual joy and fattened by the good tidings that only Your Spirit can impart.